This is another one from the ‘cheats’ range but it’s what I cook when there’s not much time and I want something tasty and wholesome. I add Quorn to my pasta bake, but you can add another vegetable instead – broccoli works well. Make use of leftover bread by turning it into breadcrumbs and putting it in a re-sealable bag in the freezer to use on top of this dish.
I hope you will forgive the total lack of expertise required to put this together! I’ve added a pic of an authentic Neapolitan deli so we can at least pretend we’re in Italy!
- Couple of handfuls of pasta – spirals and penne work well
- One 350g/12oz jar pasta sauce (I use Loyd Grossman tomato and basil)
- One leek
- 250g/9oz mushrooms (chestnut work well)
- Couple of handfuls of Quorn pieces
- Block of cheese – enough to cover the surface, more if you’re a cheese fiend
- Pine nuts
- Dried basil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas 6
- Whilst you’re boiling some water in the kettle, chop up the leek and mushrooms.
- Pour enough boiling water into the bottom of a steamer to cook the pasta and steam the leek and mushrooms over the top.
- Whilst all of that is cooking, grate the cheese.
- Drain the pasta and put in an ovenproof dish. Add the vegetables, Quorn and sauce and mix well.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese, then the breadcrumbs and pine nuts.
- Garnish with sliced tomatoes dipped in olive oil mixed with dried basil
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes